Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wellsphere

Alright, so you all remember my post about the company that was trying to get my content on their site? If not, refresh your memories here.

I politely declined their invitation. Hee hee.

But the aforementioned company was a place called Wellsphere.

Well, as I mentioned in that post, alot of other medical bloggers had been contacted about also allowing their content to be on the site.

But the catch was, if you offered to put your posts on the site, they became the intellectual property of Wellsphere.

This catch was written in small print in the Terms and Conditions page. And everyone knows that rarely anyone reads the Terms and Conditions when signing up for things. I know I don't alot of times.

But since then, I've started to!

So Wellsphere and it's content provided by over 1,500 bloggers has recently been sold to Health Central Network.

Which means all of it's intellectual property is now HCN's intellctual property. And they got money for it.

None of the bloggers who contributed to the site saw as much as a penny.

Fair? I think not. After you've checked my blog post and the two at the bottom, feel free to spread the word. Also- make sure to check out Dr. Anonymous' BlogtalkRadio show tonight! We'll be discussing Wellsphere and it's diabolical plans!
For further reading, see these blog posts. Written by very smart women who put it much more eloquently than I ever could.
Dr. Val sums this situation up very nicely here.

Helen Jaques provides an amazing take on all of this.

No comments: